Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Someone noted the other day I haven't updated my blog since starting training 5 weeks ago.


-No, I haven't drowned.....I'm just plugging away in the bowels of the Sackville Stadium pool, 'slowly' building a base.

-Really not much else to say at this time, although looking forward to getting into the lakes at the end of May and really figuring out where an old non-swimmer fits.




The boring stats:
-Swam 26 of the past 45 days, total of 27 kms.
-My 1 km pace has improved from 36 minutes to 34 minutes to 31 minutes, I mentioned I am not a swimmer and am very slow, eh!
-Long swim end of each week is now at 2.5 kms, to do 3 kms this weekend.
-Also have increased this week to 5 days/week in pool-minimum 1 km swims.


-As noted in previous blog, and conversations, all training this summer will point toward the swim out from Banook. Hopefully I can have a few 5 km runs intermixed with some recreational paddling.
-My main cross training will be on the bike, I have already been out eleven (11) times so far and will attempt to get out three (3) times a week, rides of 40-50 kms, with some tempo rides.


When I posed the idea of swimming from Banook to the Marina in Fall River at Ross's Super Bowl party, I really had no idea if I could do it or not. Over the past 5 weeks I still have no idea, but am feeling a bit more comfortable with the idea.


Is this the idle brain ramblings of an old, broken down jock, trying to relive the 60's and 70's, or those of a vibrant, revitalized, senior athlete, stepping forward challenging the unknown.


So much for the BS, eh!


-I really am looking forward to getting into the lakes late May and swimming the various sections I will do as one in September.

-My biggest concern is not the distance(s) but losing body heat doing them. The water will suck heat from me, and at the pace I go, I probably will have trouble creating enough heat to keep myself warm.


-Last week during a bike ride, I drafted a 'roadie' for a few minutes. During this 2 minute conversation---before my lungs started to explode---he noted that there was no need to rush from one lake to the next but to take the time to ensure you are back together again before continuing. In other words, if a 10 minute break is needed to warm up, take those 10 minutes.

Anyway, food for thought.


As Doug Archibald says, with slight change in wording:

Keep your flippers wet

2 Comments:

At May 01, 2007 9:21 PM, Blogger bcmurphy said...

Brucie,

I see it more as:

"the idle brain ramblings of a senior athlete"

From past experience, it would take 2-3 lakes for you to lose your heat. You'll probably have to take on water to re-hydrate...

B2

 
At November 11, 2008 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home